Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Here is where you'll finding me rambling about a variety of subjects, including my family, vintage, thrifting, Etsy shops I love, and more!





Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Lunch Time!

Fresh Veggies!

I love making soups!! They're quick and easy! I usually start them the same way, sauteing the veggies in olive and coconut oil (of course you can use butter too!).

Kale Veggie Soup with Cauliflower Steaks
 Right now kale is super cheap, so I have a lot of it, and thus, lots of kale veggie soups!  I also love making kale chips!  That's very easy, just rip up kale leaves, place it on a tray with just a little bit of olive oil, season with whatever you like, low temp, like 300, after about 5 or so minutes flip them over, maybe another 5-8 minutes, until they're cripsy.  Delish!

The cauliflower steaks were so good (although my hubby wasn't as crazy about them as I was).  Slice into steaks, put on an an olive oiled baking sheet, I sprinkled Italian seasoning, pepper, and garlic salt, but you can use whatever you love!  The last time I made them was when my daughter Katherine was home from college, and she loves cumin, so I added that to them, and they were delicious too!

Back to the soup, so I sauteed the veggies for maybe 10 or so minutes, medium heat, I only had about 3/4 cup of chicken broth left, so I added that and then some water, seasoned with fresh thyme, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, red pepper flakes, and pepper.  Use whatever veggies you have, I used kale, cauliflower, red onion, white onion, celery, carrots, etc., after the broth has been added, boil low, for about 5 minutes.  The perfect quick lunch!

Sharing with my Dad and my Mother-in-Law
 And I always make enough to share!  Here I have some ready to freeze and deliver to Grace, my Mother-in-law, and my Dad, who I lovingly refer to as "JRP"!

Make up your own soup ideas, adding beans for protein, pasta for a bit heartiness!

Enjoy!

Jen
   

No comments: